Back to Basics
Project for pedagogic improvement in 100 rural government elementary schools.
Target beneficiaries: 15000 children (6 to 14 years for quality elementary education)
The primary objective of the project to improve reading, writing and arithmetic skills of children of primary grades (1 to 5) and develop child-friendly classroom environment, self-learning material in rural government schools by improving pedagogic processes.
The specific objectives are :
- To carry out a quick baseline(Children’s Competency Assessment) to understand the level of reading, writing and arithmetic skills of students in classes I to V in 100 schools;
- To develop the norms and material of visually rich print display for classroom environment;
- To carry out a transitional programme through padded rhymes and clap rhymes for building vocabulary in school language (Hindi) and foreign language (English);
- To organize Supplementary-to-textbook activities for grades one and two for developing Reading, Writing and Basic arithmetic skills through cards and teacher-made material / charts;
- To systematize reading and phonic activities through the strategies of (i) readers’ theatre; (ii) loud-reading; (iii) buddy-reading; and (iv) silent reading through 16-paged booklet for each of these strategies for classes one and two;
- To find the impact of the intervention in the experimental 100 schools and carry forward the intervention through verification to scaling up in 300 schools (in three years).
- CULP - implementing partner in 100 schools in 70 revenue villages in Niwai block of Tonk district
- Aide et Action - Funding partner;
- Collaborating with Government programme / SSA
- Capacity building of project staff and Local Education Volunteers for hand-holding support to teachers in School;
- Conducting Child Competency Assessments (pre-test in the beginning of the academic session and post test in the end of the academic session in project schools;
- Developing locally relevant teaching learning material by organizing workshops with teachers which can be effectively used for dealing multi-level learning and multi-grade situation in rural government schools. This facilitates accelerated and peer learning among the students.
- Providing hand-holding academic support to teachers in school for conducting continuous and comprehensive evaluation, preparing profiles / port-folios of students, child-centric teaching plan so every child could get opportunity to learn at her own pace.
- Reflective Workshops for sharing best practices and developing vision of teachers for innovations and action researches.
- Formation and Strengthening Children’s Groups and Adolescent Girls Forums and imparting Life skills.
- Orientation of School Management Committees (SMCs) and PRIs for effective Compliance of Right to Education Act and creating Child Friendly environment in school.
- Organizing workshop with Teachers and members of SMC and PRIs for developing Comprehensive Plan for village Education (CP4E) / School Development Plan (SDP) and ensuring community participation in school for effective implementation and monitoring of the CP4E / SDP.
- Organizing Bal Melas and Balika Mahotsav.